Restoration Advisory Board
The NAS Patuxent River Restoration Advisory Board (RAB) is a vital link between the community and government decision-makers. The Navy and the appropriate regulatory agencies are responsible for making decisions about the ER Program. Part of the decision-making process is to consider comments from the public and respond to them.
The goal of a RAB is to encourage regular, two-way communication during the environmental restoration process by:
- Making information about the investigation and cleanup actions available to members of the public
- Gaining effective input from stakeholders on cleanup activities
- Increasing the installation’s responsiveness to the community’s environmental restoration concern
The RAB is an important part of the community involvement program. A successful program can prevent delays and contribute to better decisions about environmental cleanup projects.
RAB is part of the partnership working for effective and efficient cleanup of NAS Patuxent River. The NAS Patuxent River RAB was formed in January 1995. The RAB is co-chaired by an elected community member and a Navy representative. RAB members are considered a key source in efforts to communicate openly and effectively with the community at large. They are provided with information about the ER Program and their input on remediation decisions is actively sought. The RAB contains representatives from the Navy, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE), local government officials, and community members.
In September 2020, the Navy completed an update of the Community Involvement Plan (CIP) for NAS Patuxent River. The CIP documents the Environmental Restoration Program’s (ERP) commitment to maintaining open communications with stakeholders, including residents of the base and surrounding communities. The CIP guides the ERP’s community involvement efforts with a goal to keep the public informed regarding ongoing investigations and to aid community involvement in site restoration decisions at NAS Patuxent River.
Next RAB Meeting and PFAS Update
Tentative next RAB meeting date is October 2022.
April 28, 2021 RAB Meeting and PFAS Site Inspection brief and meeting video can be found on the Home Page.
March 3, 2020 PFAS Public Meeting Posters and Fact Sheets
• Public Meeting Posters
• NAS Patuxent River PFAS Fact Sheet
• EPA PFAS Fact Sheet
Past RAB Meeting Presentations
• 2019-Oct RAB Meeting Presentation
• 2019-Apr RAB Meeting Presentation
• 2018-Apr RAB Meeting Presentation
• 2017-Oct RAB Meeting Presentation
• 2016-Oct RAB Meeting Presentation
• 2016-Mar RAB Meeting Presentation
NAS Patuxent River and NRC Solomons PFAS Documents
• Final Basewide Site Inspection (SI) Report for PFAS – Buildings 2385, 102, and 1669
• Final Basewide Site Inspection (SI) Report for PFAS – Buildings 215 and 217, Hangars 2905 and 2133, and Bronson Road
• Final Basewide Site Inspection (SI) Report for PFAS – Sites 14, Fire Fighting Demonstration Area (FFDA), Site 41, and Crash Truck Daily Equipment Inspection Area (CTIA)
• Final Basewide Site Inspection (SI) Report for PFAS – Building 103, Hangar 110, Hangar 2835, Hangar 2805, and Building 840: Skeet Range
• NRC Solomon Final Preliminary Assessment (PA) Report for PFAS
NAS Patuxent River environmental documents are available under the Administrative Records tab on this website.
Public meetings are typically held at the Frank Knox Employee Development Building 2189, Room 100. The Frank Knox Employee Development Building is located at:
21774 Three Notch Road
Lexington Park, MD 20653
For information on the next public meeting or previous meetings, contact:
Public Affairs Officer, NASPR
Attn: Mr. Patrick Gordon
22268 Cedar Point Road
PAO Building 409, Room 207
Patuxent River, MD 20670-1154