SKILLED TRADE APPRENTICESHIP
The Intern/Apprentice Program incorporates a balance of both academic and on-the-job training.
Discover a civilian career with the Department of the Navy. Become a part of an organization that makes a difference every day.
THE TWO COMPONENTS OF THE PROGRAM INCLUDE:
Allowing senior high school students to jump-start their careers by gaining practical experience by working alongside mentors. Duration of 1 year.
Upon high school graduation and enrollment in a college or Technical Education Center, students are hired and can obtain Certificates or Associates Degrees. Duration of 3-4 years.
For a list of benefits at NAVFAC Mid-Atlantic, click here
QUALIFICATIONS FOR ENTRANCE:
- Be in good academic standing (determined by school)
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be 16 years or older
- Maintain half-time academic course load status
- Work a full-time or part-time schedule during the year.
- High Voltage Electrician
- Air Conditioning Mechanic
- Heavy Mobile Equip. Mech
- Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, ME
- Naval Submarine Base, Groton, CONN
- Naval Station Newport, RI
- Naval Support Activity, Mechanicsburg, PA
- Philadelphia Naval Business Center, PA
- Naval Station Norfolk, Norfolk, VA
- Naval Support Activity, Norfolk, VA
- Naval Air Station Oceana, Virginia Beach, VA
- Naval Amphibious Base, Little Creek, VA
- Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Portsmouth, VA
- Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth, VA
- Naval Weapons Station, Yorktown, VA
- Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune, NC
- Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point, NC
1) Read through the announcement CAREFULLY and tailor your resume to the position to which you are applying.
Resumes should include:
- Your Contact Information
- Certifications and Licenses you have (date and location earned)
- The name of the company/organization where you received experience
- The date ranges you were with each company/organization
- Specifics on tasks you completed, tools you worked with, systems you installed/troubleshot/repaird, techniques you used, documents you used, regulations you followed -USE LANGUAGE SPECIFIC TO YOUR INDUSTRY
- Specific accomplishments from the work completed (Examples: Time you saved, money you saved, things you did to increase safety, awards you earned, etc...)
For example, it is not enough to say "Expertly inspected workspaces."
A hiring manager has no frame of refernece for your past work. It is better to say, "Inspected 10 workspaces with 75 employees; identified 5 safety violations and put corrective measures in place within 10 days with zero accidents recorded."
2) Create your profile on USAJobs and uplaod your resume, or use the built in Resume Builder on the site.
- When applying online, you can address the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs) or Job Elements in the 'Other Information' section within your Resume under section 5 - Other Work Related History. We encourage you to address the KSAs or Job Elements to help us give you the best rating possible.
- Read the announcement for information regarding the grade level(s) and salary range(s) of this position. You will only be able to be considered for the Grade Level(s) and Salary Range(s) announced. So if you state a Grade Level and Salary higher than announced, you will not be rated.
3) If selected, you will be notified by our Human Resources Office to start the hiring process and schedule your physical.
NOTE: Military Spouse and Veteran's Preferences are available for the Apprentice program. More info can be found at www.fedshirevets.gov