Naval Facilities Engineering Command, Hawaii
On Oct. 1, 2010, NAVFAC Hawaii received approximately 250 Air Force civilian personnel (who were converted to Navy employees) as well as 200 Air Force military (officers/enlisted that remained Air Force), as part of the official establishment of Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, increasing the command's workforce to approximately 1,600 employees.
On March 10, 2005, NAVFAC Hawaii was established with the transfer of employees from Navy Public Works Center, Pearl Harbor; Resident Officer in Charge of Construction, Pearl Harbor and Kaneohe; Navy Region Hawaii Facilities and Environmental Departments; and Naval Facilities Engineering Command, Pacific's Integrated Product Team Hawaii. Captain Richard D. Roth became NAVFAC Hawaii's first Commanding Officer.
Navy Public Works Center, Pearl Harbor
From the 1960s - 2000s, many consolidations, realignments, and changes took place and continued until March 10, 2005.
In mid-1959, the Navy Public Works Center, Pearl Harbor completed its conversion to the Navy Industrial Fund Accounting System.
Over the years, growth of the Center was piecemeal but progressive, as centralized and specialized needs became apparent.
In 1958, Captain Plumlee, the Fourteenth Naval District Public Works Officer in Charge, became the first Commanding Officer of the Navy Public Works Center, Pearl Harbor.
On July 1, 1954, the Fourteenth Naval District Headquarters Shops Department had its final name change when it became the Navy Public Works Center, Pearl Harbor.
In 1946, the Fourteenth District Public Works Maintenance Division was established. The newly consolidated maintenance division was moved to a former Seabee site at Moanalua and in 1948, became the Fourteenth Naval District Headquarters Shops Division.
On Dec. 7, 1941(the Japanese surprise attack), all construction and routine maintenance work at Pearl Harbor was immediately stopped. Public Works personnel were used wherever necessary to bury the dead, clear away debris and prepare defenses.
From 1916 - 1939, the Fourteenth Naval District Public Works Officer was responsible for the administration, supervision and direction of all public works activities within the District.
In 1916, the Fourteenth Naval District was established at Pearl Harbor. Over the next twenty years, the development of Pearl Harbor was a continuous process.
In 1913, Naval Headquarters was officially transferred from Honolulu Harbor.
In 1908, a decision made to make Pearl Harbor a major naval base in the Pacific.
In 1890, the Navy's history at Pearl Harbor began with the establishment of a small naval coaling station at Honolulu Harbor.