Environmental

Site 2

fileENV Installation HomeInstallation MapIllinois
PrintHome PageSite DescriptionsCommunity OutreachAdministrative RecordsLinks

Site 2 - Forrestal Landfill

Historical Use

The Forrestal Landfill began operations in 1967 and operated for only a short period until it was closed in 1969. The landfill was the first controlled disposal site used by the Naval Station Great Lakes (NSGL). The landfill boundaries are roughly 400 feet by 500 feet, covering about 4.5 acres. Historical documents indicate that wastes were not burned, and wastes disposed at the Forrestal Landfill consisted of mixed office waste and other solid wastes, and shop waste. No liquids, metals, or sanitary wastes were disposed at the landfill.

According to the Round 9 (June 2014) Groundwater Monitoring Report (Revised August 2016), the groundwater beneath Site 2 appears to mound and flows mainly to the north, but also to the south. The installation of groundwater wells (other than environmental monitoring wells) in this area is prohibited. LUCs are currently in place for the site to prohibit groundwater use, maintain the landfill cover, and prohibit the disturbance of soil on the site.

Site 2 is currently covered by grass and other vegetation, and the site is fenced on three sides, but access is open on the landfill’s north side. The site is not used for anything but groundwater monitoring. The Navy does not currently have any plans for development of the site. The Navy plans to maintain the engineered landfill cover, gas vents, and fence.

Remedial Actions

Investigations were conducted at the landfill in 2001 to determine the presence and extent of methane and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Additional investigations were conducted in 2002 and 2003 to determine the thickness and other properties of the existing clay cover, and to collect groundwater samples from beneath the wastes.

A clay cap over the waste on top of the landfill prevents humans and animals from coming into direct contact with the waste. The landfill cap was reconstructed in 2004 to address settlement issues and to maintain the remedy's control of potential exposure pathways. A perimeter fence surrounds the landfill on three sides but does not limit access to the site. The remedy in place continues to be protective of human health and the environment. The LUC restricts reuse to an industrial/commercial land use scenario, under which the Site does not pose a threat to human health or the environment.

In 2006, six groundwater monitoring wells were installed in their current configuration around the perimeter of the landfill. Groundwater beneath the landfill is impacted by VOCs (below regulatory criteria), and several metals and inorganics at concentrations exceeding regulatory criteria. Annual groundwater monitoring is being conducted at the site.

Previous Investigations

These are the previous investigations conducted at Site 2: IAS; and other miscellaneous investigations.

Current Status

LUCs have been implemented, and Long-term Groundwater Monitoring is being conducted.

Site 2 Map

SHARE THIS PAGE

1322 Patterson Ave. SE, Suite 1000, Washington Navy Yard, D.C. 20374-5065

  • Please read this Privacy Policy
  • GILS NUMBER DOD-USN-000702
Connect with Us