Environmental

Site 4

fileENV Installation HomeInstallation MapIllinois
PrintHome PageSite DescriptionsCommunity OutreachAdministrative RecordsLinks

Site 4 - Fire Fighter Training Unit

Historical Use

Site 4 was a 10-acre fire fighter training unit (FFTU) used between 1942 and 1989 to train naval recruits in the fundamentals of firefighting. The former FFTU was located near the center of the 18-hole Willow Glen Golf Course (Site 1). The current golf course is owned and operated by the Navy and used by facility personnel and people from the surrounding area. Properties immediately adjacent to the golf course are generally commercial, industrial or open space. Residential properties are located within 0.125 miles to the north, east, south and west of the site.

Fuels in open burn pits, concrete carrier compartments and gasoline burning compartments were ignited to simulate fires. Fuels were transported to the site through pressurized underground piping. Unburned fuels and wastewater were drained from the burn area and treated using separators and decant ponds on the western side of the FFTU. Treated wastewater and storm water discharged through a storm sewer into Skokie Creek, approximately 0.25 miles west and south of the site.

The primary source of contamination to subsurface soil and groundwater at Site 4 is attributed to petroleum products (diesel fuel and gasoline) that were stored onsite and used during firefighting training exercises. Contaminants of concern (COCs) included polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and VOCs in subsurface soil; and metals, PAHs and VOCs in groundwater.

Remedial Actions

The piping and subsurface vaults, tanks, pits, sludge pits, soil, and other features were successfully removed, sorted, and characterized for appropriate disposal and/or treated on site. Biopiles were constructed on site in accordance with a pre-approved remediation design to treat petroleum-contaminated soil using ex-situ bioremediation techniques. As identified in subsequent investigations, some residual soil contamination remained at the site following cleanup activities.

The Sites 1 and 4 Record of Decision (ROD) was signed in 2010. A soil cover over the former FFTU prevents humans and animals from coming into direct contact with the contaminated soil. Access to the site is not restricted; however, LUCs were implemented in 2011 to restrict future use of the site, prohibit installation of groundwater wells other than for environmental sampling, and require annual inspections of the site to make sure LUCs are continuing to be implemented. Monitoring wells were installed in their current configuration around Site 1. Groundwater monitoring is being conducted at the site.

Previous Investigations

Previous investigations, plans and documentation at this site are: IAS; RI/RA; FS; PP; and a ROD.

Current Status

LUCs have been implemented, and Long-term Groundwater Monitoring is being conducted.

Site 4 Map

SHARE THIS PAGE

1322 Patterson Ave. SE, Suite 1000, Washington Navy Yard, D.C. 20374-5065

  • Please read this Privacy Policy
  • GILS NUMBER DOD-USN-000702
Connect with Us