Environmental

Naval Station Norfolk

fileENV Restoration HomeInstallation MapVirginia
navbuttonsHome PageSite DescriptionsCommunity OutreachAdministrative RecordsLinks

Overview

Naval Station Norfolk (NSN) is the largest naval base in the United States and is situated on 4,631 acres of land (A.T. Kearny, 1991) in the northwest portion of the City of Norfolk, Virginia. NSN is bounded on the north by Willoughby Bay, on the west by the confluence of the Elizabeth and James Rivers, and on the south and east by the City of Norfolk. A portion of the NSN eastern boundary is also formed by Mason Creek.

NSN includes approximately 4,000 buildings, 20 piers, and an airfield. The western portion of NSN is a developed waterfront area containing the piers and facilities for loading, unloading, and servicing naval vessels. Land use in the surrounding area is commercial, industrial, and residential. The waterfront area south of the NSN provides shipping facilities and a network of rail lines for several large industries Residential and recreational areas border NSN at the southern, eastern, and northeastern sections of the base.  A number of other military installations are located within a 25-mile radius of the NSN. These include Fort Monroe and Langley Air Force Base to the north, Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek and Fort Story to the east, Naval Air Station Oceana to the southeast, Norfolk Naval Shipyard and St. Julien's Creek Annex to the south, and Naval Supply Center-Craney Island Fuel Terminal to the southwest.

NSN began operations in 1917, when the U.S. Navy acquired 474 acres of land to develop a naval base to support World War I activities. Bulkheads were built along the coast to extend available land and after extensive dredge and fill operations, the total land under Navy control was 792 acres. An additional 143 acres of land were acquired in 1918 and officially commissioned for the Naval Air Station (NAS). During the period from 1936 through 1940, improvements to the piers and expansion of supply/ material handling facilities were also completed.

During World War II (between 1940 and 1945), major construction projects were completed, including a power plant, numerous runways and hangars, a tank farm, and several barracks/ housing complexes. During this time, the area of NSN expanded to over 2,100 acres. After World War II, NSN continued to acquire land through various types of land transfers and dredge and fill operations conducted in areas of Mason Creek, the Bousch Creek Basins, and Willoughby Bay. During its history, NSN has expanded to become the world's largest naval installation, with 105 ships home-ported in Norfolk. The Base currently has 20 piers handling approximately 3,100 ship movements annually.

The mission of NSN is to provide fleet support and readiness for the U.S. Atlantic Fleet. NSN operates in various capacities to provide support to vessels, aircraft, and other activities. NSN houses many tenants, each performing different operations involving the servicing and maintenance of vessels and aircraft. The service and maintenance of ships includes utilities hook-up, on-board maintenance, and coordination of ship movements in the harbor. Additional functions include loading, unloading, and handling of fuels and oils used aboard the vessels. Ship and aircraft repair operations consist of paint stripping, patching, parts cleaning, repainting, engine overhauls, sandblasting, and metal-plating processes.

 

SITE NAVIGATION


The IR Program page provides a summary of the Navy's Installation Restoration process for environmental restoration activities at Naval Station Norfolk. The Tour of the IR Sites presents a brief history of the sites investigated and provides site photos. Links provide direct links to other websites that have related information to the activities at Naval Station Norfolk. The Partnering Team pages outlines procedures for Partnering. The Acronyms and Glossary pages have been provided in order to assist you to fully understand the content on this site. If you have questions or comments please feel free to contact the Web Site Administrators.


Environmental Restoration Program History


In 1976, Congress passed the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) designed to manage disposal of wastes which were being generated.

In 1980, Congress passed the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA), also known as Superfund, requiring identification, investigation and cleanup of sites contaminated by past releases of hazardous substances. In 1986 Congress amended CERCLA to create the Defense Environmental Restoration Program (DERP) and its corresponding funding component, the Defense Environmental Restoration Account (DERA). This program is managed by the Office of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense (Installations and Environment) within the Department of Defense (DoD).

The DoD established the Defense Environmental Restoration Program (DERP) to address hazardous substances, pollutants, contaminants and military munitions remaining from past activities at military installations and formerly used defense sites (FUDS). Within the DERP, the Installation Restoration Program (IRP) focuses on releases of hazardous substances, pollutants, or contaminants that pose environmental health and safety risks.

In its earlier years, the DERP focused heavily on the identification, investigation, and cleanup of land impacted by decades of defense operations and training activities. As the program expanded to include historic use of military munitions at its active installations, the program progressed from study to cleanup of industrial remediation of past contamination. The DERP has also included demolition and removing unsafe buildings and structures primarily at former DoD properties that pose health risks to personnel and the general public. In all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and 8 U.S. territories, DoD is working to protect citizens and our natural resources by restoring public lands.

DoD has created two distinct programs within the DERP to most effectively address remediation of its sites. The Installation Restoration Program (IRP) primarily addresses sites impacted by hazardous substances. These sites are similar sites across the country contaminated from past practices at industrial and commercial areas, such as municipal landfills and factories. The IRP is a proven program with successes achieved over the past two decades. Through the Military Munitions Response Program (MMRP), DoD can most effectively respond to unexploded ordnance and military munitions waste at areas other than operational ranges. In the coming years, DoD will develop the MMRP to mirror the successes of the IRP.


 

SHARE THIS PAGE

1322 Patterson Ave. SE, Suite 1000, Washington Navy Yard, D.C. 20374-5065

  • Please read this Privacy Policy
  • GILS NUMBER DOD-USN-000702
Connect with Us