Environmental

Munitions Response Program Sites

nas_jacksonville
navbuttons_hp_sd_co_arHome PageSite DescriptionsCommunity OutreachAdministrative RecordsNot Available

 

Munitions Response Program Sites – Operable Unit 10

The Department of Defense has established the Military Munitions Response Program (MMRP) as a sister program to the Installation Restoration Program (IRP) under the Defense Environmental Restoration Program (DERP) to specifically address munitions and explosives of concern (MEC; including unexploded ordnance [UXO] and discarded military munitions) and munitions constituents (MC) at other operational military ranges and other sites. Currently at NAS Jacksonville there are 6 Munitions Response Program (MRP) Sites (UXO 1 through UXO 6) being investigated.

Six UXO sites were associated with the Former Machine Gun Range Complex. The ranges covered approximately 65 acres within the central portion of NAS Jacksonville. They were constructed in the early 1940s for small arms training and recreational trap/skeet shooting, but are no longer operational. The areas once occupied by the Former Machine Gun Range Complex ranges now lie within the boundaries of the NAS Jacksonville Golf Course.

The six UXO sites were designated as Potential Source of Contamination (PSC) sites under the IRP, and subsequently re-designated as UXO sites under the MMRP. The UXO site number and corresponding PSC site number are identified in Table 1, along with the approximate size, use, and period of operation of each of range and site descriptions follow. (OCULUS ID: DOD_7_3526)

Table 1
Summary of Former Machine Gun Range Complex Sites

 

Site Name Current UXO
Site No.
Former PSC
Site No.
Estimated Size (acres) Use Period of Operation
Fort Dix Skeet Range UXO 000001 22 31.4 Skeet Range 1943-mid 1950s
.50-Caliber Range UXO 000002 23a 2.2 Machine Gun Range 1941-1978
Former Skeet Range UXO 000003 23b 18.4 Skeet Range 1941-1978
Akron Road Pistol Range UXO 000004 56 2.5 Pistol Range 1941-2002
.30-Caliber Range UXO 000005 57 1.3 Machine Gun Range 1941-1978
Trap Ranges UXO 000006 58 9.6 Trap Ranges 1941-1978

 

Fort Dix Skeet Range – UXO 000001

Site Description Waste Type Regulatory Status
Fort Dix Skeet Range (OCULUS ID: DOD_7_1025) Munitions constituents Remedial Investigation

The Fort Dix Skeet Range (UXO 1) is located northwest of the former machine gun ranges. The skeet range was constructed and became operational in 1943, and it stayed active until the mid-1950s. The range consisted of eight skeet firing areas arranged in a line that ran northwest-to-southeast. The general firing direction was toward the northeast. The range structures and features were demolished and removed in the late 1990s, and portions of the land were used in the expansion of the present-day golf course. The central portion of the site is now a wooded area, which is bordered on all sides by golf course fairways. Casa Linda Lake is located northeast of the site, and small golf course ponds are located along the northern and southeastern boundaries of the site.

UXO 000001 is currently in the Remedial Investigation stage.

 

.50 Caliber Range – UXO 000002

Site Description Waste Type Regulatory Status
.50 Caliber Range (OCULUS ID: DOD_7_3566) Munitions constituents Site Inspection

The .50-Caliber Range (UXO 2) is located directly southeast of the former Fort Dix Skeet Range (UXO 1), west of the Former Skeet Range (UXO 3), and north of the Trap Ranges (UXO 6). The .50 Caliber Range was constructed and became operational in approximately 1941. It consisted of a machine gun range that encompassed approximately 2.25 acres. The firing positions were located on the south side of the range, and the firing direction was to the north. The .50-Caliber Range was adjacent to the Air Blast Range and Synchronized Gun Range, and the three ranges shared a common backstop berm. The range features were demolished in the late 1990s, and portions of the land were used for the expansion of the base golf course. The site now lies almost entirely within a golf course fairway. There are no surface water bodies or wetlands within the site perimeter, although golf course ponds are located north and south of the site.

UXO 000002 is currently in the Remedial Investigation stage.

 

Former Skeet Range – UXO 000003

Site Description Waste Type Regulatory Status
Former Skeet Range (OCULUS ID: DOD_7_1026) Munitions constituents Site Inspection

The Former Skeet Range (UXO 3) is located directly southeast of the Fort Dix Skeet Range (UXO 1) and east of the .50-Caliber Range (UXO 2). This skeet range was constructed and became operational in approximately 1941, and it ceased operation in 1978. The range consisted of two trap and skeet firing areas arranged in a line that ran northwest to southeast. The general firing direction was to the northeast. The range structures and features remained in place until the late 1990s, when they were removed for the expansion of the present-day golf course. The area of the range closest to the former firing positions is now a wooded area, and the remainder of the site contains portions of several golf course fairways. Casa Linda Lake is located north of the site, and several small golf course ponds lie within or adjacent to the site.

UXO 000003 is currently in the Remedial Investigation stage.

 

Akron Road Pistol Range – UXO 000004

Site Description Waste Type Regulatory Status
Akron Road Pistol Range (OCULUS ID: DOD_7_3567) Munitions constituents Site Inspection

The Akron Road Pistol Range (UXO 4) is located directly south of the .30-Caliber Range (UXO 5) and west of the Trap Ranges (UXO 6). This range was constructed and became operational in 1941, and it was closed in 1997. Property records indicate that the pistol range consisted of 40 bulls’ eye targets and two firing lines located at 25 and 50 yards from the targets. The range encompassed approximately 2.3 acres and was oriented north-to-south. The firing positions were on the north side of the range, and the firing direction was to the south. The backstop berm, which is approximately 300 feet long and 25 feet high, still exists on the south side of the range. Two wing berms, which were added some time after the range became operational, still exist on the east and west sides of the range. There are no surface water bodies within the perimeter of this site, although a drainage that flows west-to-east is located directly south of the site and a golf course pond lies directly east of the site.

UXO 000004 is currently in the Remedial Investigation stage.

 

.30 Caliber Range – UXO 000005

Site Description Waste Type Regulatory Status
.30 Caliber Range Munitions constituents Site Inspection

The .30-Caliber Range (UXO 5) is a former machine gun range located south of the Fort Dix Skeet Range (UXO 1), west of the .50-Caliber Range (UXO 2), and north of the Akron Road Pistol Range (UXO 4). The .30-Caliber Range was constructed and became operational in 1941. It encompassed approximately 1.3 acres and was oriented in a south-to-north direction. Property records indicate that the range consisted of eight fixed firing positions and four targets located approximately 50 feet downrange. The firing positions were located on the south side of the range, and the firing direction was to the north. A backstop berm approximately 220 feet long and 25 feet high was in place on the north side of the range, but it has since been removed and there is no longer any evidence of the berm. The site is now relatively flat and lies almost entirely within a golf course fairway. A wooded wetlands area is located directly beyond the northern boundary of UXO 5, and a small golf course pond lies west of the site.

UXO 000005 is currently in the Remedial Investigation stage.

 

Trap Ranges – UXO 000006

Site Description Waste Type Regulatory Status
Trap Ranges (OCULUS ID: DOD_7_3568) Munitions constituents Site Inspection

The Trap Ranges (UXO 6) are located directly south of the .50-Caliber Range (UXO 2) and east of the Akron Road Pistol Range (UXO 4). The Trap Ranges were constructed in 1941 and encompassed approximately 10.5 acres. They were used for recreational trap shooting until they were closed in 1978. Property records indicate that the site contained four trap shooting fields with five firing points on each firing arc. The firing points were spaced 15 feet apart along the firing arc and were located 49 feet from the trap houses. The ranges were oriented in a north-to-south direction, with the firing points located in the northern portion of the Trap Ranges and the firing direction toward to the south. A golf course pond now covers the former firing points, and a second pond lies in the southeastern portion of the site. The target field is now covered half by woods and half by golf course fairway.

UXO 000006 is currently in the Remedial Investigation stage.

 

SHARE THIS PAGE

1322 Patterson Ave. SE, Suite 1000, Washington Navy Yard, D.C. 20374-5065

  • Please read this Privacy Policy
  • GILS NUMBER DOD-USN-000702
Connect with Us