Environmental

Munitions Response Program Sites

pensacolaheader
navbuttons_hp_sd_co_arHome PageSite Descriptions Community OutreachAdministrative RecordsNo Links Available

Overview

The Department of Defense has established the Military Munitions Response Program (MMRP) as a sister program to the Installation Restoration Program (IRP) under the Defense Environmental Restoration Program (DERP) to specifically address munitions and explosives of concern (MEC; including unexploded ordinance and discarded military munitions) and munitions constituents (MC) at other than operational military ranges and other sites. Currently at NAS Pensacola there are 10 Munitions Response Program sites.

Chevalier Field Machine Gun Range

Waste Type Regulatory Status
Munitions constituents NFA Preliminary Assessment (PA)
The Chevalier Field Machine Gun Range is a 0.2-acre site located just north of Chevalier Field. Based on historical maps, the site was used from approximately 1939 to 1943. No other information regarding the range was located. Munitions use was probably limited to small arms ammunition; typical munitions used at a machine gun range included .30 and .50-caliber ammunition. Building 3644 has been constructed over the former range, and no former range features are present on the site.

 

Chevalier Field Machine Gun Range

Waste Type Regulatory Status
Munitions constituents NFA Preliminary Assessment (PA)
The Chevalier Field Machine Gun Range is a 0.2-acre site located just north of Chevalier Field. Based on historical maps, the site was used from approximately 1939 to 1943. No other information regarding the range was located. Munitions use was probably limited to small arms ammunition; typical munitions used at a machine gun range included .30 and .50-caliber ammunition. Building 3644 has been constructed over the former range, and no former range features are present on the site.

 

Chevalier Field Pistol Range

Waste Type Regulatory Status
Munitions constituents NFA PA
The Chevalier Field Pistol Range is a 1.2-acre site located northwest of Chevalier Field. Based on historical maps, the site was used from approximately 1940 to 1942. No other information regarding the range was located. Munitions use was probably limited to small arms ammunition; typical munitions used at a pistol range included .38-and .45-caliber ammunition. Building 781 and the adjacent parking area have been constructed over the former range, and no range features are present on the site. Site 12 (OU 2) overlaps the northeast corner of the site. Sampling of groundwater at Site 12 showed exceedances of some metals above Groundwater Cleanup Target Levels (GCTLs); however, lead concentrations were within the background concentration for NAS Pensacola.

 

Fort Barrancas Rifle Range (3 Ranges)

Waste Type Regulatory Status
Munitions constituents Site Investigation (SI)
The Fort Barrancas Rifle Range is a complex of three historical ranges: Fort Barrancas Rifle Range 1, Fort Barrancas Rifle Range 2a, and Fort Barrancas Rifle Range 2b. The range and associated butt and firing lines for Fort Barrancas Rifle Range 1 are denoted on a 1910 map that shows the range’s orientation with a general direction of fire from northeast to southwest. Based on the map’s depiction of the berm located closer to the firing position than the targets, munitions would have been fired over the berm and would have landed in Pensacola Bay and Big Lagoon. Fort Barrancas Rifle Ranges 2a and 2b were identified on an 1893 map that shows a range butt located near the front of Fort San Carlos at sea-level. Three firing points that fired towards a target in front of Fort San Carlos are denoted on the historical map, with the general direction of fire being from east to west or southeast to northwest, depending on the location of the firing point. Two of the firing points were denoted as Fort Barrancas Rifle Range 2a and Rifle Range 2b. The third firing point was marked as ‘proposed’, indicating that it may not have been in use.

 

Fort Redoubt Skeet Range

Waste Type Regulatory Status
Munitions constituents SI
The Fort Redoubt Skeet Range, also denoted as Gunnery Range and Army Range on historical maps, is located approximately 300 feet to the southwest of the walls of Fort Redoubt. The range is denoted on maps dated 1930 through 1954. Based upon information obtained from the 1950 map, the Fort Redoubt Skeet Range appears to have been a single-field range. One structure (Building 1712) is denoted on maps dated 1949 through 1954. Two features that appear to be a berm and a ditch appear on maps dated 1930 through 1954; however, no document was identified that explained the use or affiliation of these features. No berm, ditch, or structures exist at the site or in the immediate vicinity. Approximately 30 percent of the area comprising the surface danger zone for the Skeet Range falls on land that was transferred to the Department of the Interior (managed by the National Park Service) in 1947.

 

Magazine Point Bombing Target

Waste Type Regulatory Status
Munitions constituents and munitions and explosives of concern SI
The Magazine Point Bombing Target is a 72-acre site located on the Magazine Point peninsula, approximately 800 feet north of the boundary to Chevalier Field. The Magazine Point Bombing Target was first identified on a 1933 historical map, along with one powder magazine and a radio spotting system. The Bombing Target was no longer shown on a 1939 map. No records were located that indicate munitions used, or construction details; however, given the proximity to Chevalier Field, it is likely that the site was used as a practice bombing range. It is assumed that the Bombing Target utilized a typical 500-foot scoring arc to approximate the distance between the edge of the target and the dropped munitions.

 

Magazine Point Rifle Range

Waste Type Regulatory Status
Munitions constituents SI
The Magazine Point Rifle Range is an 8.6-acre site located on the Magazine Point peninsula that was used for small arms training during the early 1900’s. The Rifle Range was a 1,000-yard range, with firing points at 200, 300, 500, 600, and 1,000 yards. Firing was directed towards the north into a backstop berm. The Rifle Range was partially destroyed by a hurricane in 1906 and no archival evidence exists of the range after 1910. The center of the 500-foot scoring arc for the Magazine Point Bombing Target lies just south of the 300 yard firing point for the Rifle Range, and a majority of the Rifle Range is encompassed within the surface danger zone for the Bombing Target.

 

National Cemetery Gunnery Range Area North (4 ranges)

Waste Type Regulatory Status
Munitions constituents NFA PA
The National Cemetery Gunnery Area North is a 12-acre complex of four historical ranges: Gunnery Area North Machine Gun Range, Gunnery Area North Pistol Range, Gunnery Area North Rifle Range, and Gunnery Area North Firing Stand. Each of the ranges is identified on various historical maps dated between 1933 and 1954. The northern portion of the rifle range was reportedly excavated based on a review of 1950s and 1960s aerial photography and maps. No other information regarding the ranges was located. Munitions usage in the gunnery area was likely limited to .22-caliber, .30-caliber, .45-caliber, .50-caliber, and 20-millimeter (mm) small arms ammunition based on the typical munitions usage for each type of range. The National Cemetery Skeet and Trap Ranges site overlaps a portion of the Gunnery Area North. Site 8 (Rifle Range Disposal Area) and Site 24 (DDT Mixing Area) are collectively known as OU 13 and overlap the northern and western portion of the National Cemetery Gunnery Area North, including the area of the former target berm. Soil and groundwater sampling were conducted at OU 13 between 1995 and 2006. The 2006 ROD for OU 13 stipulates NFA for soil at OU 13 and LUCs to prevent use of the surficial aquifer for drinking water along with continued groundwater monitoring to be sufficient to protect human health and the environment. The entire Gunnery Area North is developed, and no former range features were identified at the site.

 

National Cemetery Gunnery Range Area South (2 ranges)

Waste Type Regulatory Status
Munitions constituents SI
The National Cemetery Gunnery Area South is a complex containing the Gunnery Area South Pistol Range and Machine Gun Range. The National Cemetery Gunnery Area South is located north of Hovey Road. The Machine Gun Range is identified on historical maps dated 1933 and 1939 through 1943. The Pistol Range is located just west of the Machine Gun Range, illustrated on maps dated 1940 through 1943. Currently the National Cemetery Gunnery Area South is completely developed. Structures include Building 488, Building 461, and the associated asphalt parking lots.

 

National Cemetery Skeet Range and Trap Range (2 ranges)

Waste Type Regulatory Status
Munitions constituents SI

The National Cemetery Skeet and Trap Ranges site includes the National Cemetery Skeet Range and the National Cemetery Trap Range. The National Cemetery Skeet and Trap Ranges site is adjacent to the Barrancas National Cemetery. The Skeet Range is identified on one 1940 map, and the Trap Range is identified on maps dated 1941 and 1942. Currently the National Cemetery Skeet and Trap Ranges site is completely developed.

 

Sherman Field Rifle Range

Waste Type Regulatory Status
Munitions constituents SI
The Sherman Field Rifle Range is located southwest of Sherman Field, within the boundaries of NAS Pensacola, and includes the area west of the former and present fuel farms. The Sherman Field Rifle Range was denoted on one historical map dated 1951 and titled “Jet Training Field Land Use Map.” Direction of fire is assumed to have been from the north-northeast to the south-southwest, based upon the range orientation and the surrounding development, as depicted on historical maps. Firing lines would have been located on the northern end of the Sherman Field Rifle Range, near the Sherman airfield, and there were probably multiple firing points throughout the length of the range. The location of a berm for the Sherman Field Rifle Range could not be identified and was not denoted on the map

 

SHARE THIS PAGE

1322 Patterson Ave. SE, Suite 1000, Washington Navy Yard, D.C. 20374-5065

  • Please read this Privacy Policy
  • GILS NUMBER DOD-USN-000702
Connect with Us