Saufley Field is located in Escambia County on the Florida panhandle, approximately 5 miles northwest of Pensacola. Saufley Field was commissioned on 26 August 1940, and was named in honor of Lieutenant Richard Caswell Saufley, a Naval Aviator who lost his life in 1916 while attempting to set a flight endurance record. In the 1970s, the field was decommissioned to Outlying Landing Field (OLF) Saufley Field under Naval Air Station (NAS) Pensacola and reactivated as a Naval Education and Training Program Development Center. Its current mission is to support training and to serve as home for several DoD and other U.S. Government organizations as a joint use facility. Base tenants include the Defense Activity for Nontraditional Education Support, Defense Finance and Accounting Service Financial Systems Activity, Naval Reserve Center, and Bureau of Prisons. Saufley Field currently has four inactive runways. Three hangars provide over 34,000 square feet of hangar space and 63 buildings are utilized by a population of over 1,000 at Saufley Field.
Saufley Field encompasses approximately 866 acres including four airstrips, and a number of buildings that are located south of the airfield. The majority of Saufley Field is covered by paved runways surrounded by mowed, open grassy fields and buildings and structures for tenant support. Approximately 200 of the 866 acres are undeveloped. The majority of the areas surrounding the airstrips and buildings are predominantly wooded and support a wide variety of flora and fauna.