COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT AT NAS MERIDIAN
The Department of the Navy, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) recognize that all Americans have the right to be involved in government decisions that may affect their lives. Frequent community involvement and sharing of information is critical to the overall success of the Environmental Restoration Program (ERP) at Naval Air Station (NAS) Meridian and Naval Outlying Landing Field (NOLF) Joe Williams. By involving stakeholders early and often, community concerns and issues can be identified and addressed in a timely and effective manner.
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT PLAN
The NAS Meridian and NOLF Joe Williams Community Involvement Plan (CIP) presents the Navy’s plan to inform and involve the community in the ERP and is based on feedback obtained during community interviews and an online survey conducted from April to July 2019 as well as on federal, state and Department of the Navy guidance. The goal of the CIP is to:
- Inform, involve, and engage community members and other interested stakeholders in dialogue and communication regarding the ERP at NAS Meridian and NOLF Joe Williams.
- Advocate and strengthen early and meaningful community participation.
- Listen carefully to identify community concerns, issues and questions and take the time necessary to address them.
- Keep the community and interested stakeholders informed regarding actions relating to the ongoing NAS Meridian and NOLF Joe Williams ERP.
- Encourage and enable all interested stakeholders to continue to participate in the decision-making process.
- Consider stakeholder input and take appropriate action where such inputs have merit.
To view the CIP, Click Here (May take a few minutes to fully load).
Public Notices are issued to announce Public Comment Periods and other key milestones in the NAS Meridian ERP. These Public Notices will appear in the Meridian Star and Kemper County Messenger newspapers, on the NAS Meridian Facebook page, in the base newspaper, and here on this website.
Environmental Restoration Contact Information
NAS Meridian PWD Environmental Division
429 Allen Road, Bldg. 429
Meridian, MS 39309
Office Phone: (601) 679-3302