NAVAL AIR STATION KEY WEST

Environmental Restoration Program Public Website

Key West

  • Environmental Restoration, Navy (ER,N) Sites
  • Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Sites
  • Underground Storage Tank (UST) Sites
  • Munitions Response Program (MRP) Site

Boca Chica Key

  • Environmental Restoration, Navy (ER,N) Sites
  • Underground Storage Tank (UST) Sites
  • Munitions Response Program (MRP) Sites

Key West (ER,N) Sites

IR 1 - Truman Annex Refuse Disposal Area

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_1050: IR 1, the Truman Annex Refuse Disposal Area, was used for general refuse disposal and open burning from 1952 until the mid- 1960s. General refuse, waste paint thinners, and solvents may have been disposed at the site. Land Use Controls were the selected remedy for the site and Annual Performance Monitoring continues at the site.

 

IR 3 – Truman Annex DDT Mixing Area

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_1052: The Truman Annex DDT Mixing Area is located at the former site of NAS Building 265. The site covers one quarter of an acre and is located approximately 1,100 feet inland from the coastline in an area that is restricted to vehicular and pedestrian traffic. From the 1940s to the early 1970s, the location was used as a DDT mixing area. Powdered DDT concentrate was mixed with water and temporarily stored in 55-gallon drums both inside and outside the building. Discharges at the site were from accidental spills. Land Use Controls were the selected remedy for the site.

 

IR 7 – Fleming Key North Landfill

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_1056: IR 7, the Fleming Key North Landfill, was used from 1952 to1962 as a landfill for NAS Key West and the City of Key West. Approximately 4,000 to 5,000 tons of unknown wastes were disposed annually at the site. Malathion, DDT, and diesel oil were sprayed on the landfill to control pests and insects. Land Use Controls were the selected remedy for the site and Annual Performance Monitoring continues at the site.

 

IR 8 - Fleming Key South Landfill

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_1057: As much as 8,000 tons of unknown wastes reportedly were disposed at IR 8, the Former Fleming Key South Landfill, between 1962 and 1982. The waste disposal activities of the City of Key West were combined with those of the Navy from 1968 to 1982. Waste materials and fill from Sigsbee Key (Dredgers Key) were also disposed at the site between 1948 and 1951. Land Use Controls were the selected remedy and Annual Performance Monitoring continues at the site.

 

IR 21 - Truman Annex Seminole Battery

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_3296: The Truman Annex Seminole Battery was constructed during the Civil War. A modern battery addition was constructed in the 1950s. The structure is currently unused and entry is restricted. Little is known about materials used while the Battery was in operation. The oldest portion of the Battery has remnants of a power generator exhaust system. Fueling tanks, known as Tanks 248A and 248B, were located west of the Truman Annex Seminole Battery near Building 248. The tanks were constructed of plate steel and had a capacity of 5,000 gallons each. The tanks were used for gasoline storage and were located under a concrete slab with fuel islands. The fueling island and tanks were removed in August 1995. Soil screening and groundwater samples were analyzed during the closure of the USTs. The UST Closure Report concluded that the tanks were closed in accordance with FDEP guidelines. The UST Closure Report recommended a study of groundwater in the area. LUCs, including institutional and engineering controls, were selected as the remedy for the site since contamination was left in place above concentrations that do not allow for unlimited use and unrestricted exposure.

Key West (UST) Sites

Trumbo Point Fuel Farm

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_1070: The Trumbo Point Fuel Farm has been used as a fuel storage facility and distribution point since 1942. During 2011 a supplemental soil and groundwater investigation was performed at the site to delineate a free product plume. A Natural Attenuation Monitoring Plan was subsequently prepared summarizing the results of the sampling and outlining a monitoring plan. A fence has been placed around the southern portion of the site to inhibit any residential use of the land while it remains under investigation.

 

Trumbo Point Bachelor Officers’ Quarters

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_1083: Trumbo Point is a 140-acre landfill area on the northern portion of the island of Key West that was created in 1908 to provide land for the tracks and warehouses needed for a major shipping port. The site encompasses much of a paved loading dock area and is bounded to the north by the west wing of the TPBOQ, on the east by the south wing of the TPBOQ, on the south by Chevalier Avenue, and on the west by Ely Street extension. A 1,000-gallon JP-5 AST with secondary containment, used to fuel the water heaters for the TPBOQ, is located near the southwest corner of the loading dock. An aboveground propane tank is also located on site to the southwest of the loading dock. In 2012, it was recommended that additional sampling of the dissolved-phase constituents previously detected in groundwater continue at the site.

Key West (MRP) Sites

Near Shore Underwater Ranges

Identification of these areas relies on anecdotal recall from various sources about past dumping of munitions from ships as they neared port. During the early 2000s there was reportedly during diving operations to assess the Fleming Key Bridge, engineers saw munitions and explosives of concern (MEC) within the Fleming Key cut. In 2012 Tetra Tech performed a Site Inspection (SI) field activities were not conducted. The SI recommended that this site proceed to a Remedial Investigation (RI).

 

Dredge Spoil Area, Fleming Key

Early in 1940s prior to World War II, Fleming Key was created as a dredge spoil island and was used as a magazine area (munitions storage area). In 2003, the magazines were verified empty and closed. Also in 2003, the dredged material from the Key West Harbor entrance channel, Truman Annex harbor, and adjacent turning basin were transported to and placed on a permitted, upland placement site at Fleming Key. During dredging operations, a 7.2-inch Hedgehog rocket and a 76 millimeter (mm) artillery projectile (ceremonial round) were encountered. In 2004, Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) personnel destroyed munitions items encountered in 2003 in place. Munitions items, including a 20 mm casing, .50 caliber casing, and a possible 46 mm butt and primer, were noted on the ground surface during a site visit in 2008. In 2009, the site was placed under the Navy Munitions Response Program (MRP). Malcolm Pirnie Inc. and Osage Of Virginia performed a Preliminary Assessment (PA) and during a limited visual site reconnaissance, munitions debris was observed on the ground. The site was recommended to proceed to a Site Inspection (SI) for munitions and explosives of concern (MEC) and munitions constituents (MC). In 2012, Tetra Tech performed an SI and found no MEC or MPPEH. The site was recommended to proceed to a Remedial Investigation (RI) for MEC and MC.

 

Trumbo Point Temporary Staging Area

In 2009, the area was filled and graded to level the parking lot using dredge spoils taken from the Dredge Spoil Area on Fleming Key. During a Technical Assistance Visit (TAV) conducted by the Naval Ordnance Safety and Security Activity (NOSSA), one 20 millimeter (mm) expended cartridge casing was observed on the ground at the site. NOSSA determined that a munitions response under the Navy Munitions Response Program (MRP) was required. In 2010, Malcolm Pirnie Inc. and Osage of Virginia performed a Preliminary Assessment (PA), and during a limited visual site reconnaissance, one 20 mm expended cartridge casing was observed on the ground. The site was recommended to proceed to a Site Inspection (SI) for munitions and explosives of concern (MEC) and munitions constituents (MC). In 2012, Tetra Tech performed an SI and found no MEC or MPPEH. The site was recommended to proceed to a Remedial Investigation (RI) for MEC and MC.

 

Marine Rifle Range, Sigsbee Park Annex

In 1945 to 1946, the historical maps depict a Marine rifle range at what is now Sigsbee Park Annex. In 1947, the Marine rifle range is no longer shown on historical maps. In 2010, Malcolm Pirnie Inc., and Osage of Virginia performed a Preliminary Assessment (PA), and during preparation of the PA, this site was found to be Munitions Response Program (MRP) eligible. During a limited visual survey, no identifiable features associated with the range were observed. The land based portion of the former range is currently used for boat and recreational vehicle storage as well as being part of a campground; a surface water impoundment has also been created in the area were the site was located. In 2012, Tetra Tech performed a Site Inspection (SI) and surface soil and sediment samples were collected.

 

Rifle Range, Truman Annex

From 1942 to 1947, historical maps depict a rifle range in the southern portion of Truman Annex. The rifle range was used when this area was Fort Taylor (U.S. Army). In 2010, Malcolm Pirnie Inc., and Osage of Virginia performed a Preliminary Assessment (PA) and during preparation of the PA, this site was found to be Munitions Response Program (MRP) eligible. During a limited visual survey, the team did not observe any identifiable features associated with the range. The northernmost half of the range has been developed. The southernmost half of the range was used as a landfill (IR Site 1) and is now used for radar antennas. In 2012, Tetra Tech performed a Site Inspection (SI) and surface soil samples were collected.

 

Pistol Range, Fleming Key

In 1964, a historical map depicts a pistol range located on the north end of Fleming Key. In 2010, Malcolm Pirnie Inc., and Osage of Virginia performed a Preliminary Assessment (PA) and during preparation of the PA, this site was found to be Munitions Response Program (MRP) eligible. During a limited visual survey, no identifiable features associated with the range were observed, but several .45 caliber bullet tips (slugs) were observed in the dirt access road that transverses the site along the western boundary of Fleming Key. The area where the pistol range was located was used as a landfill (IR Site 7), and then as an animal inspection and quarantine station. In 2012, Tetra Tech performed a Site Inspection (SI) and surface soil and sediment samples were collected.

 

Pistol Range, Trumbo Point Annex

From 1945 to 1949, historical maps depict a pistol range at what is now Trumbo Point Annex. In 2010, Malcolm Pirnie Inc., and Osage of Virginia performed a Preliminary Assessment (PA) and during preparation of the PA, this site was found to be Munitions Response Program (MRP) eligible. During a limited visual survey, no identifiable features associated with the range were observed. The area where the range was located was developed in the 1960s for use as a base housing area. Those housing units were demolished and reconstructed in 2010/2011. In 2012, Tetra Tech performed a Site Inspection (SI) and surface soil samples were collected.

 

Skeet Range, Trumbo Point Annex

From 1945 to 1949, historical maps depict a skeet range at what is now Trumbo Point Annex. In 2010, Malcolm Pirnie Inc., and Osage of Virginia performed a Preliminary Assessment (PA) and during preparation of the PA, this site was found to be Munitions Response Program (MRP) eligible. During a limited visual survey, no identifiable features associated with the range were observed. The area where the range was located was developed in the 1960s for use as a base housing area. Those housing units were demolished and reconstructed in 2010/2011. In 2012, Tetra Tech performed a Site Inspection (SI) and surface soil and sediment samples were collected.

Key West (BRAC) Sites

Poinciana Plaza Housing

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_3289: The Navy acquired the property in 1947. The property has been used as residential housing since 1942. In 2004, AGVIQ-CH2M HILL conducted a geophysical survey and soil and DPT groundwater sampling at the site to delineate arsenic. They also conducted additional soil sampling, well abandonment and soil excavation activities. A total of 162 tons of arsenic-impacted soil was removed from the site. The site was restored. Based on the soil excavation, the site soil meets the cleanup level for unrestricted use. The site groundwater exceeded the FDEP criteria for arsenic. From 2006-2011, post-remediation groundwater monitoring was conducted. In 2011, three additional groundwater monitoring wells were installed at the site's boundaries. Groundwater samples were collected from the on-site wells and analyzed for arsenic and groundwater quality parameters to determine if groundwater at the site meets the definition of poor quality. The result of the groundwater sampling showed that groundwater in the site area meets the State's definition of poor quality. Arsenic results were below the FDEP criteria for a poor quality aquifer. In 2012, a Site Rehabilitation Completion Report was submitted to FDEP for review. The report request No Further Action with institutional controls restricting the use of groundwater at the site.

 

Truman Annex Building 223 Hazardous Waste Storage Area

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_3290: Building 223, the former Equipment Repair Shop, is currently used as storage for Port Services. Little is known about previous activities in the building; however, the name implies that naval support equipment was repaired at the building. A closed hazardous waste storage area is located south of Building 223. Land Use Controls were the selected remedy.

 

Truman Annex DRMO Waste Storage Area

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_3288: The Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office (DRMO) Waste Storage Area was used to store metal debris, motors, vehicles, boats, refugee debris, and fuel trucks. A review of maps from the 1940s indicates the presence of oil racks within the storage areas. A Site Rehabilitation Completion Order was submitted to FDEP in 2009.

 

Truman Annex Former Building 136

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_3290: Former Building 136, Ship fitters and prior to 1951 the Plate and Mold Shop, was demolished and the debris was buried in and around the buildings footprint. According to base personnel, the debris in the area was later removed for disposal and is known to have failed TCLP testing for lead. Land Use Controls were the selected remedy.

 

Truman Annex Parcel K

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_3288: Truman Annex is located at the west end of Key West. The City of Key West-Owned Portion of Parcel K is located on the Truman Annex waterfront between the Turning Basin and the road leading to the Mole Pier). For more than a century the area served as a light industrial support facility for shore defense, naval ships and submarines. Most records of the area date back to World War II, when most of the former waterfront maintenance facilities were constructed, including Building 138 (Galvanizing Shop), Building 139 (Pipe and Copper Shop), Building 140 (Boiler Shop), Building 141 (Foundry), Building 142 (Joiner, Planer, and Boat Shop), and Building 143 (Lumber Shed). The waterfront maintenance facilities were demolished after 1982. No permanent buildings stand at Parcel K today. The storage and/or use of metals, solvents, fuels, acids and oil, were the potential sources of soil contamination at Parcel K. A removal action was completed in February 2012.

 

Truman Annex UST 5

OCULUS ID: DOD_9: Truman Annex is located at the west end of Key West. This site had an abandoned UST area located directly behind, and to the southwest of, the security gate entrance to the Truman Annex base housing. During the construction of a new fence between Navy property at Truman Annex and the recently transferred BRAC harbor area property, the previously unknown UST was uncovered. The Navy contracted CH2M Hill Constructors Inc., to perform a tank. In August 2003, the tank was abandoned in place due to the proximity of overhead power lines located directly adjacent to the UST. Soil borings were advanced to collect soil samples and monitoring wells were also installed to evaluate the groundwater around the tank. Soil borings were found to be impacted by petroleum and groundwater wells were impacted with low levels of benzene. In 2011, Tetra Tech performed a Site Assessment and recommended that additional groundwater sampling be conducted until the site meets the criteria for a Site Rehabilitation Completion Order with No Further Action. Groundwater sampling has been ongoing through 2013 to meet the criteria.

 

Hamaca Hawk Missile Site Sewage Lift Station

OCULUS ID: DOD_0_1085: The Hamaca Hawk Missile Site is located toward the eastern end of Key West just to the north of the Key West Airport and south of the Flagler Canal. The Sewage Lift Station is in the northwestern corner of the property. Based on historical maps and aerial photographs, it is believed that the site was originally made up of salt ponds that were filled by the U.S. Army. This missile site was built in 1964 to repel a possible aerial attack from Cuba. The site was used for coastal defense until the late 1970s, when the Army disbanded its air defense units in the Florida Keys. The Navy did not use the property, but allowed homeless veterans to stay there in 1994 and 1995. Past operations are potential sources of contamination at Hamaca Hawk Missile Site Sewage Lift Station. In 1999, Land Use Controls were recommended for the site and the property was transferred to the FAA. In 2002, a decision document was issued that the selected remedy for the Hamaca Hawk Missile Site Sewage Lift Station is to provide LUCs, including engineering and institutional controls that require anyone who disturbs structures identified as a permanent cover and/or containment material to comply with OSHA’s Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response, cited in 29 CFR 1910.120 and 1926.65. The selected institutional controls will include restrictions recorded in property transfer documents to ensure the integrity of the engineering control.

Boca Chica Key (ER,N) Sites

SWMU 1 – Former Boca Chica Open Disposal Area

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_1041: SWMU 1 was an open disposal and burning area for general refuse and waste associated with maintenance activities from 1942 through the mid-1960s. The list of possible wastes included waste oil, hydraulic fluid, paint thinner, and solvents. Annual Performance Monitoring of various media continues at SWMU 1.

 

SWMU 2 – Boca Chica DDT Mixing Area

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_1042: SWMU 2 consists of the former location of Building 915 and its surrounding area, which was used for storage and mixing of pesticides. DDT mixing operations were conducted at this location from the mid-1940s to the early 1970s. Annual Performance Monitoring of various media continues at SWMU 2.

 

SWMU 3 – Boca Chica Fire-Fighting Training Area

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_1043:  The former fire-fighting training area is a flat, open area located in the southeast portion of Boca Chica Key, west of the southern blimp pad. The site contains aircraft and vehicles that were ignited with JP-5 fuel, waste oil, or hydraulic fluid for use in fire-fighting training. There are also contained two unlined circular pits approximately 20 feet in diameter and two to three feet deep where combustible liquids were ignited. The former pits are surrounded by gravel aprons. Contaminants were left in place and the current remedy is Land Use Controls.

 

SWMU 4 – AIMD Building A-980

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_1044: SWMU 4, Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Department (AIMD) Building A-980, is located in the northwestern portion of Boca Chica Key. The building was constructed in the late 1960s and provides electronics maintenance support to aircraft. Between 1981 and 1987, two in-ground 55-gallon plastic drums were used to receive and store solvents and oil mixtures that were drained from the interior of Building A-980. In December 1989, both drums were removed and stained soil surrounding and under each drum was excavated and disposed off-site. An RFI/RI and Supplemental RFI/RI determined that low levels of metals and organic compounds at SWMU 4 did not pose ecological risks or adverse health effects to current human receptors. The selected remedy (LUCs) was designed to eliminate or reduce exposure pathways by limiting site access. Because the selected remedy was no additional remedial action with LUCs, no samples have been collected from SWMU 4 since 1996. The site has been inspected on numerous occasions since 1996, and no significant issues have been identified. The site received an SRCO in 2008 with LUCs for soil restrictions.

 

SWMU 5 – Boca Chica AIMD Sand Blasting Building A-990

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_1045: SWMU 5, the former AIMD Sand Blasting area, is adjacent to Building A-990 near the western end of the airfield on Boca Chica Key. Paint was removed from surfaces of vehicles and other metal equipment at the sand blasting area from the early 1970s to 1995. Paint particles and other material removed during the sand blasting are believed to be the source of contamination. The RFI/RI conducted in 1994 concluded that elevated concentrations of metals in surface water and sediment in the pond were probably the result of leaching or transport of waste material from the sandblasting area. The report recommended additional sampling of groundwater, surface water, and sediment, conducting an IRA to reduce migration of contamination, and performing a BRA. Additional sampling was performed in 1996 as part of the Supplemental RFI/RI. Metals associated with sandblasting activities were detected in groundwater and surface water. A BRA and ecological risk assessment were performed in 1997. The ecological risk assessment concluded that ecological risks were negligible. The BRA determined that contaminants were present at concentrations indicating possible adverse carcinogenic and non-carcinogenic health effects for future residents. In 1999, the recommended remedy was Institutional Controls, consisting of LUCs with monitoring, was the appropriate remedy for the site. The LUCs were designed to eliminate or reduce exposure pathways by limiting site access. Annual Performance Monitoring continues at SWMU 5.

 

SWMU 7 – Boca Chica Temporary Hazardous Waste Storage Area

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_1047: SWMU 7, Boca Chica Hazardous Waste Storage Area, Building A-824, consists of Building A-824 and a grassy area enclosed by a chain-link fence. Two small ponds lie north and south of the site. Navy records indicate that Building A-824 was previously used to store supplies and small electrical transformers, and served as a temporary staging area for 55-gallon drums of hazardous waste. IT Corporation identified a potential roadside diesel fuel spill east of A-824. Base personnel indicated that transformer oil was occasionally dumped on the ground immediately north of A-824. Annual Performance Monitoring continues at SWMU 7.

 

SWMU 9 – Boca Chica Jet Engine Test Cell Site, Building 969

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_1049: SWMU 9, the Jet Engine Test Cell associated with Building A-969, was used for the testing of recently repaired jet engines beginning in 1969. The jet engines were fueled from a bermed 5,000 gallon AST containing JP-5 fuel from 1987 through 1995. Groundwater sampling and monitoring wells were installed to confirm the northern boundary of the site during 2010. Recommendations were to collect additional data from the new monitoring wells and then proceed to long-term monitoring for the site.

Boca Chica Key (UST) Sites

Former Boca Chica Hawk Missile Site

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_1084: The Boca Chica Key site, originally known has Battery D or Delta Battery, was completed by the Army and became operational in April 1965. This anti-aircraft facility was built by the Army as a permanent installation with the intent to guard against attack from Cuba, 90 miles away. The Hawk missile was initially designed to destroy aircraft and was later adapted to destroy other missiles in flight. During operations, work in support of the Site’s mission was focused on keeping the missiles, radar towers, and equipment clean and ready for use at all times. Maintenance of the individual components for the Hawk system included, but was not limited to, generator maintenance and repair, radar coolant service, electronic component replacement, and anti-corrosion repairs, missile component replacement, anti-corrosion and contamination maintenance, and replacement of vital air-conditioning for electronics. A site investigation was completed in 2010 and subsequent confirmatory groundwater sampling was conducted in July 2013.

 

Boca Chica Tank Farm

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_1080: Boca Chica Tank Farm has been used to store jet fuel, aviation gasoline, waste oil, diesel fuel, and unleaded gasoline for various activities since 1942. No documentation has been located regarding petroleum releases prior to 1975. However, ten releases have been documented between 1975 and 1994. A Long Term Monitoring Report was submitted to FDEP in 2012 which recommended that a Site Rehabilitation Completion Report should be completed with institutional controls as annual groundwater monitoring.

 

Boca Chica Flying Club Site

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_1087: The Flying Club is located along the northwest boundary of Taxiway H, south of building A133 at Boca Chica Field. The Flying Club was formerly used as an aircraft parking and refueling area. Building A-126 was formerly used as a transportation facility and is currently used as an electrical maintenance and repair facility for arresting gear. Building A-133 is part of the former motor pool refueling point. It has been used to store electrical equipment in the past, including transformers that contained polychlorinated biphenyls. It is now used as a hazardous waste storage facility. Interviews with NAS Key West personnel indicate that the area in the vicinity of Building A-133 may also have been used as an auto hobby shop and staging area. The Boca Chica Flying Club was in operation until the late 1960s. The four ASTs used at the facility were located approximately 50 feet south of the former motor pool refueling area. Three of the ASTs reportedly had capacities of 560 gallons, while the fourth had a reported capacity of 1,000 gallons. After evaluating the historical data, additional monitoring wells will be installed and further groundwater sampling will occur until the site can be placed in long term monitoring.

 

Boca Chica Truck Fill Stand

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_1073: The Truck Fill Stand is an active facility used to fill tanker trucks for aircraft refueling. Fuel from the Boca Chica Tank Farm is transported to the Truck Fill Stand via pipeline. During 2010, a Site Assessment was performed and found contamination isolated areas of the site. Based on the Site Assessment result, further investigation and quarterly monitoring has occurred at the site to assess the movement of contaminants from the site.

 

Former Geiger Key Hawk Missile Site 22

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_3292: The former AHMS Geiger Key Site is approximately 12 acres located along State Road S-941 (Old Boca Chica Road) on the southwest end of Geiger Key. Based on historical maps and aerial photographs, the land on which AHMS Geiger Key was built was previously salt ponds filled by the U.S. Army in order to adapt the area for use as a missile site. Work on the facility began in 1965 in support of the Cuban Missile Crisis, and continued for several years thereafter. The site contains most of the original buildings used for storage, maintenance, and repairs on the Hawk missiles. It also contains the original radar and illuminator towers, missile launch pads, and generator building. It was used for coastal defense until 1979, at which time the Army units demobilized from all of the Hawk Missile batteries in the Florida Keys. A site investigation was completed in 2010 and subsequent confirmatory groundwater sampling was conducted in 2013.

 

Manhole 31 – Saratoga Avenue

OCULUS ID: DOD_9_3293:  In July 2005, an oily substance was discovered in a ditch, manholes, and utility vaults along Saratoga Avenue. Emergency response was conducted to remove oily waste from underground conduit system, and contaminated surface soil around Manhole-31. Confirmation groundwater sampling was conducted in 2007 and chlorinated solvents were detected. Further investigation of chlorinated solvents detected in groundwater was conducted in 2010 and 2011 by CH2MHill. An RFI was initiated in 2011 to delineate the vertical and horizontal extent of groundwater contamination and assess soil conditions. Surface and subsurface soil samples were collected. Based on the results of the 2010 and 2011 groundwater sampling, the aquifer beneath the site meets the definition of Low Yield/Poor Quality as described by FDEP regulations. FDEP has requested additional wells for vertical and horizontal extent of groundwater contamination above the GCTLs and additional groundwater sampling for one year. The additional investigation will commence in summer 2013.

Boca Chica Key (MRP) Sites

Skeet Range #820, North Boca Chica

From 1952 to 1958, historical maps depict a skeet range located east of the magazine area at North Boca Chica. In 1965, the skeet range is no longer shown on historical maps. In 2010, Malcolm Pirnie Inc. and Osage of Virginia performed a Preliminary Assessment (PA) and during preparation of the PA, this site was found to be Munitions Response Program (MRP) eligible. During a limited visual survey, numerous skeet fragments were noted on the ground surface. In 2012, Tetra Tech performed a Site Inspection (SI) and surface soil and sediment samples were collected and skeet fragments were observed on the ground surface.

 

Pistol Range #821, North Boca Chica

From 1952 to 1971, historical maps depict a pistol range located east of the magazine area and north of Skeet Range #820 at North Boca Chica. In 2010, Malcolm Pirnie Inc. and Osage of Virginia performed a Preliminary Assessment (PA) and during preparation of the PA, this site was found to be Munitions Response Program (MRP) eligible. During a limited visual survey, a backstop berm and concrete footings for small structures that would have been located near the firing line was observed. Numerous expended .45 caliber cartridge casings and lead bullet tips (slugs), as well as expended 9mm, expended .22 caliber, and expended 12 gauge small arms ammunition were also observed. In 2012, Tetra Tech performed a Site Inspection (SI) and surface soil samples were collected and expended small arms ammunition were observed on the ground surface. Recommendations for the site are deferred.

 

Rocket Loading Area, Boca Chica Field

From 1945 to 1950, historical maps depict a rocket loading area at Boca Chica Field. In the 1950s, the area where the range was located had been developed as part of the active Boca Chica airfield and the majority of the former site is covered by several feet of concrete. In 2010, Malcolm Pirnie Inc. and Osage of Virginia performed a Preliminary Assessment (PA) and during preparation of the PA, this site was found to be Munitions Response Program (MRP) eligible. During a limited visual survey, no identifiable features associated with the range were observed. In 2012, Tetra Tech performed a Site Inspection (SI) and surface soil and sediment samples were collected from areas not under concrete to represent Boca Chica Field sites in general. No Further Action (NFA) was recommended for this site based on activities that took place at the site, it is unlikely that munitions constituents (MC) would be present.

 

Bore Sighting Range, Boca Chica Field

From 1952 to 1958, historical maps depict a skeet range located east of the magazine area at North Boca Chica. In 1965, the skeet range is no longer shown on historical maps. In 2010, Malcolm Pirnie Inc. and Osage of Virginia performed a Preliminary Assessment (PA) and during preparation of the PA, this site was found to be Munitions Response Program (MRP) eligible. During a limited visual survey, numerous skeet fragments were noted on the ground surface. In 2012, Tetra Tech performed a Site Inspection (SI) and surface soil and sediment samples were collected and skeet fragments were observed on the ground surface.

 

Pistol Range #821, North Boca Chica

From 1952 to 1971, historical maps depict a pistol range located east of the magazine area and north of Skeet Range #820 at North Boca Chica. In 2010, Malcolm Pirnie Inc. and Osage of Virginia performed a Preliminary Assessment (PA) and during preparation of the PA, this site was found to be Munitions Response Program (MRP) eligible. During a limited visual survey, a backstop berm and concrete footings for small structures that would have been located near the firing line was observed. Numerous expended .45 caliber cartridge casings and lead bullet tips (slugs), as well as expended 9mm, expended .22 caliber, and expended 12 gauge small arms ammunition were also observed. In 2012, Tetra Tech performed a Site Inspection (SI) and surface soil samples were collected and expended small arms ammunition were observed on the ground surface. Recommendations for the site are deferred.

 

Rocket Loading Area, Boca Chica Field

From 1945 to 1950, historical maps depict a rocket loading area at Boca Chica Field. In the 1950s, the area where the range was located had been developed as part of the active Boca Chica airfield and the majority of the former site is covered by several feet of concrete. In 2010, Malcolm Pirnie Inc. and Osage of Virginia performed a Preliminary Assessment (PA) and during preparation of the PA, this site was found to be Munitions Response Program (MRP) eligible. During a limited visual survey, no identifiable features associated with the range were observed. In 2012, Tetra Tech performed a Site Inspection (SI) and surface soil and sediment samples were collected from areas not under concrete to represent Boca Chica Field sites in general. No Further Action (NFA) was recommended for this site based on activities that took place at the site, it is unlikely that munitions constituents (MC) would be present.

 

Bore Sighting Range, Boca Chica Field

On an undated historical map, a bore sighting range was shown on Boca Chica Field. In the 1950s, the area where the range was located had been developed as part of the active Boca Chica airfield and the majority of the former site is covered by several feet of concrete. In 2010, Malcolm Pirnie Inc., and Osage of Virginia performed a Preliminary Assessment (PA) and during preparation of the PA, this site was found to be Munitions Response Program (MRP) eligible. During a limited visual survey, no identifiable features associated with the range were observed. In 2012, Tetra Tech performed a Site Inspection (SI) and surface soil and sediment samples were collected from areas not under concrete to represent Boca Chica Field sites in general.

 

Trap Range, Boca Chica Field

In 1945, a historical map shows a trap range at Boca Chica Field. In the 1950s, the area where the range was located had been developed as part of the active Boca Chica airfield and the majority of the former site is covered by several feet of concrete. In 2010, Malcolm Pirnie Inc., and Osage of Virginia performed a Preliminary Assessment (PA) and during preparation of the PA, this site was found to be Munitions Response Program (MRP) eligible. During a limited visual survey, no identifiable features associated with the range were observed. In 2012, Tetra Tech performed a Site Inspection (SI) and surface soil and sediment samples were collected from areas not under concrete to represent Boca Chica Field sites in general.

 

Skeet Range, Boca Chica Field

From 1945 to 1950, historical maps show a skeet range at Boca Chica Field. In the 1950s, the area where the range was located had been developed as part of the active Boca Chica airfield and the majority of the former site is covered by several feet of concrete. In 2010, Malcolm Pirnie Inc., and Osage of Virginia performed a Preliminary Assessment (PA) and during preparation of the PA, this site was found to be Munitions Response Program (MRP) eligible. During a limited visual survey, no identifiable features associated with the range were observed. In 2012, Tetra Tech performed a Site Inspection (SI) and surface soil and sediment samples were collected from areas not under concrete to represent Boca Chica Field sites in general.

 

Shoot-In-Butt Range, Boca Chica Field

From 1945 to 1950, historical maps show a skeet range at Boca Chica Field. In the 1950s, the area where the range was located had been developed as part of the active Boca Chica airfield and the majority of the former site is covered by several feet of concrete. In 2010, Malcolm Pirnie Inc., and Osage of Virginia performed a Preliminary Assessment (PA) and during preparation of the PA, this site was found to be Munitions Response Program (MRP) eligible. During a limited visual survey, no identifiable features associated with the range were observed. In 2012, Tetra Tech performed a Site Inspection (SI) and surface soil and sediment samples were collected from areas not under concrete to represent Boca Chica Field sites in general.

This is an Official US Navy Website • Please read this Privacy Policy • GILS NUMBER DOD-USN-000702
Jobs  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Accessibility  |  FOIA  |  No Fear Act