Environmental

Site Descriptions

fileENV Restoration Home PageInstallation MapVirginia
PrintHome PageSite DescriptionsCommunity OutreachAdministrative RecordsLinks

Site Descriptions

PFAS Background Information

Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) are compounds with heat resistant properties that were used in some formulations of aqueous film-forming foam (AFFF) used for firefighting operations at military installations, including Naval Air Station (NAS) Oceana, Naval Auxiliary Landing Field (NALF) Fentress, and Dam Neck Annex. Two of these compounds, perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) and perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), were present in AFFF used by the Navy from the 1960s through the 1980s. While PFAS-containing foam was sprayed on the ground during equipment testing and training operations in the past, AFFF containing PFOS and PFOA is no longer used at NAS Oceana, NALF Fentress, or Dam Neck Annex, and the AFFF currently in use is for emergency operations only. PFAS are classified as unregulated or “emerging” contaminants, which have no Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) regulatory standards. However, unenforceable provisional health advisories for PFOA (0.4 parts per billion [ppb]) and PFOS (0.2 ppb) were issued by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) in January 2009. On May 19, 2016, USEPA established an unenforceable lifetime health advisory of 70 parts per trillion for the individual or cumulative concentration of PFOA and PFOS.

NAS Oceana

Table 2 includes all sites at Naval Air Station (NAS) Oceana that are currently active. Click on a site name within Figure 2 for further information.

Table 2

       

Active SWMUs at NAS Oceana

Site/SWMU ID

Former Site/SWMU ID

2B

Line Shack 130-131

Site 2/SWMU 51

2C

Line Shack 400

Site 2/SWMU 52

2E

Line Shack 109, Building 23

Site 2/SWMUs 1 and 54

3

West Side Landfill

SWMU 29

7

Fifth Green Landfill

SWMU 24

8

North Station Landfill

SWMU 26

11

Firefighting Training Ring

SWMU 11/62 & 63

22

Construction Debris Landfill

SWMU 22

26

Firefighting Burn Pit, Building 220

SWMU 65

66

Former Firefighting Training Tank (located within SWMU 11 boundary)

SWMU 66

--

Oceana Salvage Yard Access Road and Burial Unit

--

UXO 5

NAS Oceana Machine Gun Boresight Range

--

--

Other PFAS Source Areas

--

 

NAS Oceana Site Location Map


Line Shack Solid Waste Management Units (SWMUs 2B, 2C, and 2E)

SWMUs 2B, 2C, and 2E, the Line Shack SWMUs, were used historically for aircraft maintenance and cleaning, and are located along the flight line at NAS Oceana. Naval personnel disposed of various maintenance and cleaning chemicals onto the ground at the SWMUs. The chemicals contained organic contaminants, including trichloroethene (TCE). Additionally, at SWMU 2E, a waste oil bowser was used to contain waste cleaning chemicals and oils. The oil bowser reportedly leaked, which resulted in a release of the chemicals to the environment.

SWMUs 2B, 2C, and 2E have been investigated since 1986. Findings and planned environmental restoration activities are summarized in the Site Management Plan.

West Side Landfill (SWMU 3)

West Side Landfill, SWMU 3, was a 6 acre landfill that was operated from 1941 to 1945. Wastes disposed of in the landfill reportedly include construction debris, municipal wastes, and unknown debris. The quantity of chemicals disposed at the landfill was estimated to be roughly 60 pounds of asbestos, 400 gallons of paints and thinners, and 24 pounds of pesticide residues. Historical and planned environmental restoration activities for the SWMU are summarized in the Site Management Plan.

Fifth Green Landfill (SWMU 7)

Fifth Green Landfill, SWMU 7, was identified as an unlined, 4 acre landfill that was operated from 1954 to 1961. Wastes disposed of in the landfill reportedly include asbestos, solvents, pesticides, transformers, municipal wastes, photofinishing wastes, and construction debris. Wastes were burned prior to disposal at the site. Fifth Green Landfill is located in the southeast portion of NAS Oceana on the current golf course. SWMU 7 is currently maintained as approximately 3 acres of the local golf course for use by military personnel, their guests, and dependents. The golf course was built in 1948, but initially was not placed on top of Fifth Green Landfill. Between 1982 and 2003, the golf course was expanded and now covers the Fifth Green Landfill. Historical and planned environmental restoration activities for the SWMU are summarized in the Site Management Plan.

North Station Landfill (SWMU 8)

North Station Landfill, SWMU 8, is located in the eastern portion of NAS Oceana. The site was reported to be a 4-acre site located east of the old airfield. The site was used in the early 1950s to 1954 and appeared to be an unlined borrow pit that was allowed to fill with water. During the operating period, it is believed that the landfill received all solid wastes generated at the facility. The solid waste likely included solvents, pesticides, construction debris, municipal wastes, electrical conductors, transformers, sanitary waste, photo-laboratory waste, and nonhazardous waste. Historical and planned environmental restoration activities for the SWMU are summarized in the Site Management Plan.

Construction Debris Landfill (SWMU 22)

Construction Debris Landfill, SWMU 22, is located in the northeastern portion of NAS Oceana. The site is an approximately 0.55-acre unlined landfill. The years of operation are unknown, but the site was discovered in 1986 and was still in use in 1988 when it was identified as a location with potential to pose risks to human health and/or the environment. The landfill was designated for construction debris; however, no controls were in place to prevent other waste from being disposed. Based on observations made in 1988, the waste disposed of at SWMU 22 included construction debris, furniture, empty paint cans, tires, and scrap metal. Historical and planned environmental restoration activities for the SWMU are summarized in the Site Management Plan.

Basewide Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) Investigation

A Basewide Site Inspection (SI) for PFAS was initiated at NAS Oceana in 2016. The investigation objectives were to determine whether PFAS are present in groundwater in likely source areas on Base (including Solid Waste Management Unit (SWMU) 11, SWMU 26, known crash locations, and known accidental release locations) and to determine the potential for offsite migration of PFAS contamination.

In December 2016, a public information session was held to notify nearby residents of potential PFAS contamination, and to coordinate sampling of private drinking water wells within a 1-mile radius of monitoring wells with PFOS/PFOA exceedances of the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) lifetime health advisory. The Basewide SI, including off-base sampling of private potable wells, was completed in 2017. PFOS and/or PFOA were detected at one property but the concentration was below the lifetime health advisory. PFOS and/or PFOA were not detected at any of the other off-base properties. Additional Basewide investigations for PFAS will be conducted to better understand the extent of PFAS contamination. Additional information is provided in the Site Management Plan.

Machine Gun Boresight Range

The former Machine Gun Boresight Range covers approximately 1.7 acres in the northern portion of NAS Oceana. The site initially was used as a maintenance and testing range for aircraft-mounted machine guns and was later converted to a small-arms firing range. Ammunition was likely limited to .50- and .30-caliber rounds for aircraft guns and small-arms ammunition. Historical investigations and ongoing and planned investigation and restoration activities at the Machine Gun Boresight Range are summarized in the Site Management Plan.

Oceana Salvage Yard Access Road and Burial Unit

The Oceana Salvage Yard is a privately-owned business located east of NAS Oceana, across Oceana Boulevard. The only access to the site is a road on NAS Oceana property. The Salvage Yard historically disposed of waste, including crushed car batteries, within the road, and also on the sides and shoulders of the road on Navy property. Consequently, the Navy has taken steps to both investigate and remediate contamination from the Salvage Yard present within the boundary of NAS Oceana. Historical investigations and planned environmental restoration activities at the Oceana Salvage Yard Access Road and Burial Unit are summarized in the Site Management Plan.

NALF Fentress

Table 3 includes all sites at Naval Auxiliary Landing Field (NALF) Fentress that are currently active. Click on a site name within Figure 3 for further information.

Table 3
Active SWMUs at NALF Fentress

Site/SWMU ID Former Site/SWMU ID

14

Fentress Landfill

SWMU 23

17

Firefighting Training Area (Fentress Burn Pit)

SWMU 64

--

Underground Storage Tank (UST) 20B

--

UXO 9

NALF Fentress Dive Bombing Targets

--

UXO 10

NALF Fentress Machine Gun Boresight Range

--

--

Other PFAS Source Areas

--


NALF Fentress Site Location Map


Fentress Landfill (Site 14)

The Fentress Landfill occupies 3 acres of land directly north of the northeast end of the principal runway at NALF Fentress. Wastes reportedly disposed at this landfill include asbestos, solvents, oils, pesticide residue, and transformers containing an unknown quantity of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). The landfill was reportedly used from 1945 to 1970. The Navy initiated investigations at the Fentress Landfill in 1991. Historical investigations and ongoing and planned environmental restoration activities at Site 14 are summarized in the Site Management Plan.

Firefighting Training Ring (Site 17)

Site 17 includes the NALF Fentress firefighting training ring and its immediate surroundings. The site is located at the intersection of two abandoned runways in the northwestern corner of the base. Prior to 1991, the ring was an active firefighting training area where jet fuel was ignited and extinguished. During these activities, mixtures of firefighting agents, water, and residual fuel were generated. The Navy initiated investigations at Site 17 in 1991. Historical and planned environmental restoration activities at Site 17 are summarized in the Site Management Plan.

Underground Storage Tank (UST) 20B

UST 20B consisted of a 1,000-gallon steel tank for storing gasoline that was located in front of Building 20 at NALF Fentress. UST 20B initially was investigated in 1992 after a gasoline release was reported to the State Water Control Board. Historical and planned environmental restoration activities at the UST 20B site are summarized in the Site Management Plan.

Basewide PFAS Investigation

A Basewide Site Inspection (SI) for per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) was initiated at NALF Fentress in 2015. The investigation objectives were to determine whether PFAS are present in groundwater in likely source areas on Base and to determine the potential for offsite migration of PFAS contamination. Evaluated source areas included Site 14 and Site 17, crash truck test areas, and crash sites where firefighting foam was used. Additionally, the investigation approach included sampling of the base drinking water and wastewater and sampling of 52 private drinking water wells on 49 properties with the consent of the property owners. A summary of previous and planned environmental investigation and restoration activities is provided in the Site Management Plan.

Dive Bombing Targets

Two adjacent dive bombing targets (DBTs) dating from 1955 are located northwest of the runway in a currently forested and undeveloped area at NALF Fentress. Each target is approximately 6.5 acres in size. Probable munitions used at the DBTs include practice bombs, as well as MK4 signal cartridges, spotting/witness charges, and bomb signal cartridges. Historical and planned investigation and restoration activities are included in the Site Management Plan.

Former Machine Gun Boresight Range

The former Machine Gun Boresight Range (MGBR) at NALF Fentress encompasses about 1 acre and lies in the northern portion of NALF Fentress. The site was used initially as a maintenance and testing range for aircraft-mounted machine guns, but later was converted to a pistol range. Ammunition used at the former MGBR likely was limited to .50 and .30-caliber rounds for aircraft guns. Historical, ongoing, and planned investigation and restoration activities at the Machine Gun Boresight Range are included in the Site Management Plan.

Dam Neck Annex

Table 4 includes all sites at Dam Neck Annex that are currently active. Click on a site name within Figure 4 for further information.

Table 4
Active SWMUs at Dam Neck Annex

Solid Waste Management Unit (SWMU)/Site Former Site/SWMU ID

1

Regulus Avenue Landfill

Site 1

--

Fire House

--

UXO 6

Dam Neck Annex Mortar Impact Area

--

UXO 7

Dam Neck Annex Moving Target/Mortar Range (South)

--

UXO 8

Dam Neck Annex Skeet and Trap Range

--

UXO 13

Dam Neck Annex Moving Target/Mortar Range (North)

--

 

Dam Neck Annex Site Location Map


Regulus Avenue Landfill (Site 1)

Site 1, the Regulus Avenue Landfill, is an inactive, unlined landfill located on 10 acres in the southern portion of Dam Neck Annex. The landfill site was in operation from 1953 to 1976, and received 3 to 17 tons per day of solid waste from Dam Neck Annex. Historical records indicate that wastes disposed in the landfill consisted of municipal waste, pesticides, asbestos, construction debris, lime, paints, petroleum products, alcohols, sewage sludge, ordnance, and hazardous wastes. Wastes disposed at the landfill were burned or buried. There is possibility that drums containing aqueous film forming foam (AFFF), which was used for firefighting, were disposed in the landfill. When the landfill was closed in 1976, a layer of clean fill, with an average thickness of 4 feet, was placed over the debris. Historical and planned investigation and restoration activities at Site 1 are included in the Site Management Plan.

Fire House (Building 525)

The Fire House (Building 525) was constructed in 1956 and is located north of Lake Tecumseh. Building 525 was identified as a potential per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) source area due to firefighting training activities that were reported to have occurred on the concrete pad south of the building. According to previous reports, approximately 30 gallons of aqueous film forming foam (AFFF) were used annually and washed off the concrete pad into the grass. Building 525 has not been previously investigated, and was opened as a new site in 2017. Planned investigation and restoration activities at Building 525 are included in the Site Management Plan.

Mortar Impact Area

The Mortar Impact Area is located in the southeastern portion of Dam Neck Annex, and was identified on an archival map dated 1950. Based on orientation of the range fan as depicted on the historical map, it is assumed that mortars were fired from west to east (toward the Atlantic Ocean). Since the use of munitions in this area have not been confirmed by Navy personnel, or other historic documents other than the archival map, munitions and explosives of concern (MECs) may, or may not, be present. Historical and planned investigation and restoration activities at the Mortar Impact Area are included in the Site Management Plan.

Moving Target/Mortar Range - South

The Moving Target Mortar Range - South is located in the southeastern portion of Dam Neck Annex. The boundary of this site overlaps with the Mortar Impact Area. The range was used in the 1940s and 1950s. Based on the range boundaries and period of use, probable munitions used at the Moving Target Mortar Range - South were determined to include .30- and .50-caliber small-arms projectiles and 60-millimeter (mm) and 81-mm mortars. Historical and planned investigation and restoration activities at the Moving Target Mortar Range - South are included in the Site Management Plan.

Skeet and Trap Range

The former Skeet and Trap Range, located on the southwestern portion of Dam Neck Annex on the eastern shore of Lake Tecumseh, was composed of four skeet ranges and four trap ranges, with approximately half of the former range area extending into Lake Tecumseh. Because of the historic activities at this site, debris related to small-arms firing range ammunition may be present. The primary contaminant associated with shotgun ammunition is lead. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) also were identified as potential contaminants because of their association with clay targets. Historical and planned investigation and restoration activities at the Skeet and Trap Range are included in the Site Management Plan.

Moving Target/Mortar Range - North

The Moving Target Mortar Range - North is located in the southeastern portion of Dam Neck Annex. The range was used in the 1940s and 1950s. The suspected target/impact area of the former range lies within the operational range area and is not eligible for investigation under the Munitions Response Program; however, other portions of the site are under investigation. Based on the range boundaries and period of use, probable munitions used at the Moving Target Mortar Range - North were determined to include .30- and .50 caliber small-arms projectiles and 60-millimeter (mm) and 81-mm mortars. Historical and planned investigation and restoration activities at the Moving Target Mortar Range - North are included in the Site Management Plan.

 

 

SHARE THIS PAGE

1322 Patterson Ave. SE, Suite 1000, Washington Navy Yard, D.C. 20374-5065

  • Please read this Privacy Policy
  • GILS NUMBER DOD-USN-000702
Connect with Us