The Former NAS Dallas, which consisted of approximately 837 acres, is located 10 miles southwest of downtown Dallas, Texas. Aviation operations have been conducted at Former NAS Dallas since Hensley Field opened in 1932 on property leased from the City of Dallas. The Army Corps maintained Hensley Field until 1940. In 1941, the field was expanded and commissioned as a Naval Air Reserve Base. The Navy took full command of the activity in 1946, and the Navy and reserve operations continued to expand into the 1990s under the name NAS Dallas. In 1993, NAS Dallas was identified for closure under Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) activities. In 1995, the Navy initiated Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Facility Investigation (RFI) activities at NAS Dallas to investigate potential environmental concerns related to historical operations at the base. In September 1998, military operations on NAS Dallas ceased. Between 1998 and present, the Navy conducted environmental remediation activities at the Former NAS Dallas across City of Dallas property to comply with requirements of the RCRA Permit and terms of the Navy’s lease with the City of Dallas.