Naval Air Station (NAS) Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base (JRB), is home to a variety of Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Army and Texas Air National Guard units. Established on October 1, 1994 as the first JRB in the country, the mission is to provide unsurpassed support and quality training for the Reserve and Guard "war fighters" in all branches of the Armed Services.
NAS Fort Worth JRB was first known as Tarrant Field in 1932, but is mostly known as Carswell Air Force Base (AFB), a name it held from 1948 to 1993. The base is named after Medal of Honor Recipient and Texan, Major Horace S. Carswell, Jr. The site adjacent to the field was selected in 1941 as a Consolidated Aircraft factory for the production of B-24 Liberator bombers, that site is now Lockheed Martin; the manufacturer of the F-35 Lightning II.
During the government’s 1991 Base Realignment and Closure announcements, Carswell AFB was recommended for closure. By September, 1993, the base was closed. The base became a NAS JRB in October of 1994, and relocated numerous Navy Reserve, Marine Corps, Air Force and Air National Guard commands to the facility.
Under the operational command of the Commander, Naval Installations, NAS Fort Worth JRB is a joint defense facility which plays a pivotal role in the training and equipping of air crews and aviation ground support personnel. NAS Fort Worth JRB is made up of approximately 40 separate commands and there are approximately 10,000 active duty military, Guardsmen, Reservists, and civilian employees that work as a team to accomplish the overall missions of support.