The Navy owned and operated the facility from 1941 through 11 February 2004 which was formerly known as Naval Ordnance Station, Naval Surface Warfare Center, Louisville, Kentucky and occupied approximately 144 acres. During Navy ownership, operations included mass production, machining, and assembly of weapon systems for the Navy. On 11 February 2004, the Navy transferred the property, buildings, and equipment to the Louisville Redevelopment Authority for redevelopment and reuse as an industrial park. Several tenants presently occupy the former Navy Property which is now called the Airport Industrial Center, including those who provide material and technical support for Naval Weapons Systems.
The Navy has conducted various remedial activities at the facility from 1996 to present. The Navy continues to hold a RCRA Part B Permit with the State of Kentucky due to previous operation of a hazardous waste storage facility and long-term environmental monitoring and land use control (LUC) requirements for the property.