Environmental

Naval Training Center Orlando

ntc_orlando_banner
navbuttons_hp_arHome PageAdministrative RecordsNot available at this timeNot available at this timeNot available at this time

Background

The former Naval Training Center (NTC) Orlando is comprised of four non-contiguous facilities: the Main Base, Area C, Herndon Annex, and McCoy Annex. The Main Base was located approximately three miles east of downtown Orlando. Area C is located approximately one mile west of the Main Base, Herndon Annex is located approximately 1.5 miles south of the Main Base and McCoy Annex is located approximately eight miles south of the Main Base.

The Main Base was primarily comprised of operations and training facilities. Area C served as a supply center for the former NTC and included the base laundry and drycleaning facilities and the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office. Herndon Annex included airplane parking aprons, taxiways, and warehouse facilities. McCoy Annex was largely comprised of military housing units, maintenance and support facilities, and a former landfill (later converted to a golf course).

NTC Orlando was closed in phases starting with the closure of the Recruit Training Command and Naval Hospital in March 1995, the Service School Command in November

1996, and the Navy Nuclear Power Training Command in December 1998. All remaining operations ceased at the training center on 30 April 1999. In accordance with the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) of 1969, an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) was prepared in connection with the disposal and reuse of the entire NTC Orlando. The NEPA Record of Decision for the EIS was signed on 15 November 1996.

Environmental investigations conducted as part of the BRAC process identified 55 study areas (SAs). Two landfill areas were categorized as Operable Units (OUs). OU 1 is the North Grinder Landfill located in the northwest area of the Main Base. OU 2 is the former golf course landfill located in the southern portion of the McCoy Annex. Two study areas (SA 8 and SA 9) were combined into OU 3, and three study areas (SA 12, SA 13 and SA 14) were combined into OU 4. All identified OUs and SAs at NTC Orlando have been investigated, and all known underground storage tanks (USTs) and aboveground storage tanks (ASTs) have been removed. The majority of the SAs have been closed, although some remain open but are managed under Land Use Controls (LUCs).

For additional information visit the Navy Base Realignment and Closer (BRAC) Program Management website.

SHARE THIS PAGE

1322 Patterson Ave. SE, Suite 1000, Washington Navy Yard, D.C. 20374-5065

  • Please read this Privacy Policy
  • GILS NUMBER DOD-USN-000702
Connect with Us