Documents for Public Review
There are currently no documents available for public review.
- The February 2020 Vieques Restoration Advisory Board Meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, February 26, 2019 at 6:00 PM at the Multiple Use Center, Vieques, PR. Agenda coming soon! | La reunión de febrero de 2020 de la Junta de Consejo para la Restauración de Vieques está programada para el miércoles, 26 de febrero de 2020 a las 6:00 PM en el Centro de Usos Múltiples de Vieques. ¡La agenda estará disponible pronto!
- Vieques Environmental Restoration News - November 2019 | Noticias Sobre la Restauración Ambiental de Vieques - Noviembre 2019
- August 2019 Vieques RAB Meeting Minutes | Minutas de la Reunión del RAB de Vieques de Agosto de 2019
- Final Site Management Plan Fiscal Year 2020 Amendment
- Notice to Boaters - October 2019 | Aviso a Operadores de Embarcaciones - Octubre 2019
- Status of Vieques Cleanup Program Sites under CERCLA - August 2019 | Estado de los sitios del Programa de Limpieza de Vieques bajo CERCLA - Agosto 2019
Welcome to the website of the Naval Facilities Engineering Command Atlantic (NAVFAC Atlantic) for the former Vieques Naval Installation. The former Vieques Naval installation is a 23,000-acre facility located on Vieques Island, which is located off the southeast coast of the mainland of Puerto Rico.
The island was used for military training for members of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. From the mid-1940s until 2003, more than 300,000 munitions items were fired during military training operations, including naval gunfire, air-to-ground bombing, and marine artillery fire. It is estimated that up to 9,000 acres of the property may contain munitions and munitions-related items.
It is important to the Navy that community members have access to accurate and timely information about the actions NAVFAC Atlantic in coordination with its agency partners is taking to implement the Environmental Restoration Program. The Navy is committed to protecting public health and the environment. This website is one of the ways the community can learn about environmental restoration activities, including Munitions Safety, on Vieques and participate in the decision-making process.
Click on a document link below to view fact sheets with important information and answers to frequently asked questions about the munitions cleanup in Vieques.
- Open Detonation Fact Sheet | Hoja Informativa Sobre la Detonación Abierta
- Depleted Uranium in the Live Impact Area of Vieques | Uranio Empobrecido en el Área de Impacto con Bala Viva en Vieques
- Munitions Cleanup and Air Quality on Vieques | Remoción de Municiones y la Calidad de Aire en Vieques
- Controlled Burning in the Submunitions Area of Vieques | Quema Controlada en el Área de Submuniciones de Vieques
- Detonation Chambers, UXO, and Explosives Safety | Cámaras de Detonación, UXO y Seguridad para el Manejo de Explosivos
August 2019 RAB Meeting Posters
Click on an image below to view a larger version of the poster with detailed information about the Vieques Environmental Restoration Program.