|Click here for NRL-CBD PFAS Drinking Water Well Sampling
Restoration Advisory Board
The NRL-CBD Restoration Advisory Board (RAB) is a vital link between the community and government decision-makers. The Navy and the appropriate regulatory agencies are responsible for making decisions about the Environmental Restoration (ER) Program. Part of the decision-making process is to consider comments from the public and respond to them.
The purpose of a RAB is to encourage regular, two-way communication between the Navy and the local community by:
- Informing the public regarding the progress of planned and ongoing restoration actions at the facility
- Communicating the results of investigations and risk assessments when available
- Receiving feedback from the public as to their specific concerns and information needs
- Providing the public with the opportunity to comment on and participate in addressing technical decisions associated with ER sites at the facility
The RAB contains representatives from the Navy, Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE), local government officials, and community members. The NRL-CBD RAB was formed in December 2019. The RAB is co-chaired by an elected community member and a Navy representative. RAB members are considered a key source in efforts to communicate openly and effectively with the community at large. They are provided with information about the ER Program and their input on remediation decisions is actively sought.
The Community Involvement Plan describes the Navy’s community involvement program for environmental restoration.
The Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Washington, in cooperation with the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE), has established a Restoration Advisory Board (RAB) to discuss environmental restoration issues at Naval Research Laboratory – Chesapeake Bay Detachment (NRL-CBD). A RAB is an advisory panel of local community members who meet regularly with the Navy and regulatory agency representatives to discuss and provide input on environmental investigation and cleanup plans. NRL-CBD’s RAB meets twice a year and meetings are open to the public.
The next meeting will be held on May 18, 2021, 5:00-7:00 p.m. For public safety, this meeting will be held online; participants may access the meeting by computer (preferred) or by phone as follows:
- On your computer, use this link: https://ch2m-pge.my.webex.com/ch2m-pge.my/j.php?MTID=m70ecca15c362c1eab028204968b6959b
- On your computer, go to www.webex.com. Go to “join a meeting” and use the meeting number: 182 523 2824, meeting password: xbESsGmj325
- By phone, dial 510-338-9438 and enter the meeting number 182 523 2824
The agenda for this meeting includes:
- An update on the 2021 Community Involvement Plan
- Information about technical assistance for RABs
- A status update on planned, ongoing, and completed activities
- An update on the Site 10 (Fire Testing Area) Site Inspection
The Navy is accepting questions from the public about the agenda topics and the RAB briefing prior to the meeting via email at NRLCBDWATER@navy.mil. Emailed questions will be accepted until Wednesday, May 12, and meeting participants will also have the opportunity to submit questions during the meeting.
The RAB meeting agenda can be found HERE.
The RAB briefing slides can be found HERE.
For more information, please contact Regina Adams, NAVFAC Washington Public Affairs Officer, at 202-685-0384 or NAVFAC_NFW_PUBLICAFFAIRSOFFICE@navy.mil.
Past RAB meeting presentations can be found at the links below:
NRL-CBD environmental documents are available under the Administrative Records tab of this website.
Additionally, when documents are available for public review they are placed at the information repository below:
Calvert Library Twin Beaches Branch
3819 Harbor Rd.
Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
Hours: Monday-Thursday: 12 pm - 5 pm
Friday: 1 pm – 5 pm
Saturday: 10 am - 2 pm
Public meetings are typically held at the Northeast Community Center. Details of public meetings will be announced ahead of time. The Northeast Community Center is located at:
4075 Gordon Stinnett Ave.
Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
For information on the next public meeting or previous meetings, please contact the Public Affairs Officer.
Previous Public Meeting Posters and Fact Sheets:
- 2019 August Public Meeting RAB Interest Posters
- 2018 October Public Meeting PFAS Posters
- 2018 October NRL-CBD Drinking Water Investigation Initial Results Fact Sheet
- 2018 July Public Meeting PFAS Posters
- 2018 June NRL-CBD Drinking Water Investigation Fact Sheet
Public Affairs Officer
The NAVFAC Public Affairs Office (PAO) for the ER program at NRL-CBD can be reached at the following address and phone number:
NAVFAC Washington Public Affairs Office
Attn: Regina Adams, Public Affairs Officer
1314 Harwood St.
Washington Navy Yard, D.C.
Phone: (202) 685-0384